Sunday, January 8, 2012

My First Seed Catalog Of The Year



I received my first seed catalog in the mail the other day. As I  pour through the catalog, my thoughts wonder to the day when I have my green house in place. I have to remind myself that I am limited to a short growing season, unless I come up with some type of alternative. (within our financial means) I have been planning what type of beds to put in and what type of protection to have to for them to insure a harvest this year.

I have lots of ideas....

This year, I hope to focus on root vegetables. Most root vegetables do better in cooler weather, however, they usually have a longer growing season. I will have to come up with a way to keep the ground warm for a longer period of time. We have the intense sun on our side, so I will incorporate the sun into making heat for the ground.




















I will also be planting more buffalo grass to support our future animals. We planted a small amount of Buffalo grass the first year we were here. Last years rains really made a difference in it's growth. We actually mowed with our hand mower, powered only by us, twice. We do not want a green lawn type of landscape. We like our natural landscape.

 We sowed buffalo grass seed to prevent erosion and cut down on dust/dirt blowing around in front of the house where the ground was cleared when the house was being built. The tundra takes years to recover when it has been destroyed. This is one reason why people need to stay on marked roads and stay off of private property. I don't want to look at tire tracks for years to come.


I'm not sure how much we will accomplish this year. I have high hopes to add fruit vines too. Lettuce can be grown year around if you have a good window box. I'm sure this will be a learning experience. We are very dry right now, because we have not had as much snow. It's only January. (I keep telling myself) This will also be a factor in what we plant.






Blessed are You, O Lord our God,
  King of the universe,
  who provides the fruit of the earth for our use.
We bless You for fulfilling continually
  Your promise that while the earth remains,
  seed time and harvest shall not fail.
Teach us to remember that it is not by bread alone
that we live.
  Grant us evermore to feed on Him who is the true
  bread from Heaven, even Jesus Christ our Lord.
O God, our Heavenly Father, look in favor
  upon the homes of Your people.
Defend them against evil and supply all their needs
  according to the riches of Your wonderful grace.
 Make them sanctuaries of peace, love and joy.
Help us to follow You every step of our daily lives.
May we always abide under the safe shadow of Your love,
      through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen...

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Signs Of Spring...