Friday, April 5, 2024

This Is a First - Weather Forecast - Monthly Grocery Shopping Experience

This is a first, I have not seen a forecast for "Blowing Dust" before. We are under a high wind warning. It's time to batten down the hatches and watch out for flying debris. The wind is already roaring out there. It seems the whole world is witnessing a lot of firsts lately!

This wind is blowing in another snow event on Monday. I'm glad I finished up my monthly shopping when I had yet another appointment in the city. The dental office had to cancel my teeth cleaning appointment that was on the same day due to illness. Ugh! I am counting down the days for my new front tooth...


  • Today

    Today: Patchy blowing dust after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 55. Windy, with a south wind 17 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.

    Patchy
    Blowing Dust
    and Windy

    High: 55 °F

  • Tonight

    Tonight: A slight chance of rain and snow showers before 10pm, then a chance of snow showers.  Patchy blowing dust before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. Breezy, with a south wind 17 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

    Breezy.
    Slight Chance
    Rain/Snow
    then Chance
    Snow Showers

    Low: 26 °F

  • Saturday

    Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers.  Partly sunny, with a high near 33. Very windy, with a west northwest wind 21 to 26 mph increasing to 32 to 37 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph.  New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

    Chance Snow
    Showers and
    Very Windy

    High: 33 °F

  • Saturday
    Night

    Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -3. Very windy, with a west northwest wind 31 to 39 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.

    Partly Cloudy
    and Very
    Windy

    Low: 17 °F

  • Sunday

    Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 42. Windy, with a west northwest wind 24 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph.

    Sunny and
    Windy

    High: 42 °F




While I was in the city, I purchased just 11 items at Sam's Club for our monthly grocery haul, and it was $215. That is an average of $19.55 per item. Milk was just under $4 a gallon. I was able to fill up the gas tank for $2.77 a gallon. The fuel truck was delivering fuel, so I beat the price increase by minutes. Yea! It is now $2.85 a gallon. 

One thing that I noticed was the limited selection of products. Usually, they carry at least two options or more. For instance, they only had one brand of turkey bacon that we don't like at all. They also only had two expensive brands of toilet paper, plus Member's Mark. We need septic safe toilet paper which happens to be less expensive for a lot more product. I think that I may be able to order it online the next time I need to purchase some. 

Last month, I saw that they were discontinuing our favorite Kinders seasoning, so I bought a big bottle. We immediately called our friends who turned us on to this product and they went and purchased five bottles. 

They do not carry bread flour anymore even though I see it on YouTube videos at other clubs. I guess there is not much demand for it in our neck of the woods. I will check to see if the restaurant supply still carries it next month. 

Things are still chaotic out there as far as product availability and it seems to be getting worse every time I go to the store. The new norm is higher prices, out of stock, discontinued or an unrecognizable brand on the shelf with questionable ingredients. I find myself buying more substitutions every month. 

I really love Azure Standard and the quality of their products. They however cannot fulfill all of our needs. I buy from them whenever possible. Usually, every other month I am able to buy all of my groceries from them. 

I went into the city by myself this time. On the way home, I decided to treat myself to a book or two from the thrift store. Again, they had nothing that I wanted to read, however they did have something that I really wanted for a great price and in "like new' condition. I found an Instant Pot 3-Quart Mini Lux. 


They sell used for $50 to $80 bucks on Ebay. I got this one for $8 bucks. I'm excited because of its small size and because it only uses 700 watts. This is solar friendly compared to my other pressure cookers that I use. I have been on the lookout for one because I have just about worn out my 6-quart pressure cooker pot that I am unable to replace. I also have an 8 and a 12-quart pressure cooker. All three of them use 1200, 1600, and 1800 watts. I only use the larger ones when I have to run the generator. 

My mom gifted all three of the larger pressure cookers to me. They are some of my favorite gifts that have literally changed the way I cook and save money. Thanks Mom!


Stay safe out there and have a blessed Sabbath!

Mrs. Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Box Delivered Today!