Friday, April 12, 2024

Zombie Shoppers



I recently stopped by Walmart to pick up a few things and this is what I saw. First, I needed some romaine lettuce to get us by until our next monthly grocery trip. All the heads had rot on them in varying degrees. It also cost $1.00 more than last time. I looked at other pitiful sized heads of iceberg lettuce for $2.00 a head. They were just a tad larger than a softball. I passed!

Milk dropped in price to $3.07 a gallon from $3.97. This surprised me, since I thought that it would increase in price due to the H5N1 outbreak in cattle. Maybe people are not taking a chance and demand had dropped. I didn't check on egg prices. I didn't need any. My old hens have started laying again. 

I needed a new hot water bottle. My 15-year-old bottle sprung a leak from constant use for nearly three months. It has been a life saver in helping with shingles pain. I have one on my lower back now. I still have the nerve pain. I am better, but it still causes me a great deal of discomfort. Walmart no longer carries hot water bottles. UGH!

I have witnessed a lot of "Zombie Shoppers" who are traumatized by the shear cost of the items that they need. Many shoppers now have lists and block isles unknowingly while scouring over them. Older people just paced back and forth in front of the choices available not knowing exactly what to buy anymore. Blank stares and unfriendly faces are the results of the stresses of grocery shopping. It just hurts to watch people suffer while trying to buy groceries. 

I chose the shortest checkout line available, since the self-checkouts were not working at all. I found a line with just one guy and a basket full of groceries in it. I thought that it was perfect timing until he tried to checkout. Decline after decline on his Snap card. He started the process of removing items. He was apologetic and embarrassed but seemed to be a pro at it. He must have a large family by the looks of his cart. He paid cash for the items he removed and for the items his Snap benefits wouldn't cover. 

We are in a pickle that keeps getting sourer every time I venture into a store. I don't know what is going to change to make things better. I don't know where it's all heading, but I do know that we need a course correction. I don't have any answers, but I do have hope that things can turn around.

Stay safe,

Mrs. Smith





  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Box Delivered Today!