Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Sun Is Shinning On Our Solar Panels

                              

I woke up this morning and it was very bright. It has been partly dull for the last few days. When Number One got up he also immediately noticed the brightness of the morning. We have been unplugging unnecessary items at night to conserve on power, since we have been baking a lot for Thanksgiving. My oven uses a lot of power to light itself. I would like to change it out for a stove that has pilots. The pilots would also take the chill out of the air on the days that we don't use the heater.

We are trying to live within our solar means. We don't want to run the generator unless we have too. It cost money to buy the fuel for the generator and it cost money to replace the generator. Living within your means, financially, is a new concept for many. It's a hard reality for some. It's not too late to learn how to incorporate this into your life. It's actually a challenge that is fun for the whole family. Step out of your box and start figuring out ways to conserve. My grandmother taught me this old saying that she learned when she was a child growing up during the Great depression.


Use it up, wear it out, use it again or do without!

My grandmother also taught me that they never did without food because they lived on a farm. They preserved the food that they grew and raised with the future in mind. They were not rich and did without many things, but they were able to provide the basic necessities for themselves in a time when a lot of people could not. People had to learn how to live all over again. Did they re-create the wheel? No, they just went back to the basics. 

Living a more self reliant life style does not mean that it's less work. On the contrary,  it's a lot of physical work to provide food for yourself and your family. It takes a lot of knowledge and skill to run and maintain even the smallest operation. We do not have a major corporation backing us with unlimited funds. We care about what we produce and it does not always turn out the way it should.

I don't know the future of our economy, but I want to be able to provide for my family. I'm learning new skills all the time. I'm planning for our future and learning to conserve what God has seen fit to bless us with...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink Mix