Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Wheatberry Salad


Soak two cups of wheatberries overnight in cold water...
I soaked mine for 24 hours, its takes less cooking time
and at 9000 ft. it really makes a big difference, especially with beans. I
may soak beans for three days depending on the type of beans.


I attended a luncheon for the ladies at church on Saturday and a lunch after church on Sunday. Mm mm, the food was divine. No, it really was. I made a macaroni salad with apples, broccoli, dill, ham and cheese for Saturday and a pea salad (my mom's recipe) for Sunday. Both days I enjoyed a wheatberry salad brought by others. I did not have the opportunity to meet whoever made them, so I am "winging it" on the ingredients and have no way to give credit where credit is do. Sorry! On Sunday, Number One tried it and liked it too, so I decided to make a batch up for the up coming week.

I thought the reflection in the water was cool...

Don't try to wipe the fingerprint off
your screen, it's on my lens. Sorry!
I set my camera on the counter for a moment and when I went to pick it up
 the apples were posing, obviously they wanted their picture taken.
Ingredients:

2 cups wheatberries

Enough water for soaking and cooking

Chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and bell peppers

Fresh cilantro, garlic powder, salt, pepper

Vinegar (I used balsamic and apple cider)

Oil (I used olive oil) small amount

After soaking berries overnight, rinse the berries. Place berries in a medium sized stock pot, add three inches of water over the berries, salt the water and boil until done. (about 35 minutes) Let cool completely.

Add Everything else to taste, toss well. Let marinate for a little while or overnight and then serve.


Chopped vegetables


More chopped vegetables

Soaked wheatberries

Adding salt
Disclaimer: If you are not used to eating whole grains...
Well, you get the picture...

Cilantro, love this stuff

More ingredients

Apple cider vinegar for a little more bite...

Spice it up a little

Viola! Tasty and Healthy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink Mix