Sunday, September 12, 2021

Gather Up The Fragments... Meal Prep


We did not have very many fragments left in the fridge this week. Two fragments to be exact, so we did some meal prep for next week's long anticipated Fall like weather. Meal prepping saves time, money and helps us eat healthier. 
I had some romaine lettuce that needed some attention.
I prepared a large bowl for this weekend and
    I washed and stored the rest to use next week. 

I had some homemade chicken and pasta soup that
I had leftover from Thursday's Lunch. I made it from a chicken carcass I had frozen from a previous gathering up the fragments week.
I re-heated it and we had it for lunch on Friday with crackers. 

We have had ice on the chicken water in the mornings for a week now, but it was still in the eighties during the day. This is full blown extreme Summer weather that we have been experiencing during the day. It has been way too hot use the oven, so I have been putting off  baking bread and other things that require the oven. I did make some soup last week, because I am so ready for cooler weather and all the good food that goes with it. 

I pressed out 16 hamburger patties from a
10 pound chub I had thawed out.


Number One is the "Grill Master".

The background colors are changing to dull greens and browns

Creole grilled chicken halves from a few weeks ago.

16 Grilled burgers

Just showing off Number One's grilling skills. Creole grilled chicken halves, grilled smoked
beef sausage and grilled beef hotdogs from a couple weeks ago.

I froze 12 out of the 16 burgers. 

I browned about 2 pounds of the ground beef..

I froze the browned meat to use in other meals at a later date. 

I chopped up cabbage and onions to cook with the rest of the ground beef to make Bierocks (German Burgers) next week when the weather cools off.

Ground beef, chopped cabbage, onions, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a skillet.

Taking a peek...

All done. I put it in a bowl and put it in the fridge for next week.

While all the other food was cooking I used my electric pressure cooker to make this healthy side dish. 



Just add water and a little butter.

12 Minutes at 9,000 feet in altitude.  


I froze two quart bags and put a bowl in the fridge for us to eat this weekend.

One day, some months ago, while I was gathering fragments I made some twice baked potatoes out of some baking potatoes that needed to be used up. I made a large batch and froze them in gallon freezer bags. I froze them on a baking sheet first, so they would not loose their shape or toppings when I bagged them up. 

I added a salad and a grilled burger to make our Sabbath dinner. I cooked the potato while I was heating up the burger in the same pan with a lid. It turned out just as good without using the oven. 


Number One requested turkey bacon and...

green onions on the next ones, so...

I gave the green onions in the window a haircut and...

Wait for it...

made his request happen for breakfast...

I know, I know it's a strange breakfast or an early lunch. It was almost 11 am before we ate breakfast. I am not a breakfast fan and neither of us care too much for traditional breakfast fare. 


Have a blessed week,
Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copycat Wild Rice Blend Mix