Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Off-Grid Cooking - Saratoga Jacks Thermal Cooker - Unboxing

We have two Sun Ovens and purchased both
from a local thrift store at different times.

We live off grid in the Rocky Mountains and I am always looking for ways to reduce our energy consumption, especially our propane consumption. Last year, we reduced our propane usage by 14%. It is time to fill up our tank again. Number One Husband has a call into the distributor of said propane. We can only guess at the price per gallon this year. I definitely think that it will be more than we paid last year, but we need 14% less this year. 

We have several options when it comes to cooking without propane. One of my favorite ways to cook is in our Solar Oven, however it requires the sun to shine. This isn't usually an issue living in one of the sunniest states in America. Unfortunately, we do have to battle high wind conditions. 

During the summer months, I can usually get a Sun Oven meal cooked before the wind and the rain begins if I start by 10 or 11 am. I have managed to cook several meals in the past week even though we have had wonderful afternoon thunderstorms. If there is no rain in the forecast, I can cook in the Sun Oven until 3 or 4 pm. I avoid windy days altogether. Forecasts can usually predict what time the winds will pick up and I plan accordingly. The Sun Oven can withstand 30 to 35 MPH winds, but if the wind is blowing on all four sides of the house, I just don't use it. The wind pretty much blows non-stop in the winter, and it is brutally cold, so we only use the Sun Oven in the spring, summer and fall months. 

I don't mind cooking inside in the colder months. The heat from cooking warms up the house nicely and keeps the heater from kicking on. The smell of homemade bread and a pot of soup cooking just makes me happy, but in the warmer months it is too hot to bake and simmering a pot of anything is just out of the question. 


This brings me to our next option and that is the Electric Pressure Cooker. My mom gave us three different sizes to us over the years, for which we are very grateful. I use my electric pressure cooker as much as possible if the sun is out or when we need to run the generator. I usually don't miss an opportunity to cook a pot of rice, beans, sauces or soups if there is room in my freezer to store it. I try and utilize our free power and our generated power as efficiently as possible. Thanks Mom!

Rabbit is up to no good! 

Then we have our grills, like the Cobb Grill that uses just a couple small of chunks of charcoal to roast a whole chicken or we can fire up our larger grill for batch cooking. We do have to rely on charcoal to use the grills and we cannot use then during fire bans. In other countries like Africa, a large portion of a family's income in rural areas goes into the cost of energy for cooking and heating water. 

Sabbath Preps

Thermos cooking is not efficient here at this altitude. Don't get me wrong, they will keep foods hot and drinks cold. There is just not enough mass to cook a meal unless it's oatmeal or something similar that cooks quickly. I use thermoses every week for the Sabbath for hot tea and hot water. We use a thermos when we travel or hike. A thermos will keep soup hot for several hours, but it will not cook rice at this altitude. In fact, I have to use my pressure cooker to cook rice and beans. The stovetop just doesn't cut it. The first time I tried to cook beans at this altitude, I ended up throwing them out after trying for three consecutive days to cook them.

This brings me to my newest tool to combat the use of propane: The Saratoga Jacks Thermal Cooker. 




I have wanted one for quite some time to add to my arsenal but was not willing to pay full price for one. I finally found a new unused one in an open box on Ebay. I made an offer, and it was accepted. I paid 1/4 of the price of retail including shipping. 


After researching thermal cookers, I decided that
this was the thermal cooker that I wanted. 

Thermal cooking is a very basic concept and
has been used for generations. There are several
kinds of thermal cookers. Hayboxes and quilts were
among the first of their kind and are still used today. 


It is made from high quality stainless steel. 

There is no need for additional cookware since both pots have heavy bottoms
 and can be used on the stovetop or in the Sun Oven to bring foods up to
temperature. I can also do the initial cook in the pressure cooker. 


Other cooking vessels like jars with lids
can also be used in this cooker. I would 
avoid cooking in plastic.



I have not decided what to cook first just yet, but I will be sharing my successes and failures. 


Shalom,

Mrs. Smith


 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible Gateway - Huge Bible Sale!