Saturday, January 7, 2012

Activate Your Dried Herbs And Spices


Mortar and Pestle



















Activate your dried herbs and spices before adding to your food by using a mortar and pestle. The crushing action activates the spices and gives more flavor to your food. You will find that you can use less dried herbs and spices by using this technique.

I ran out of taco seasoning that I bought at the big box store and I decided to make my own with this simple recipe. I've been a little hesitant to try it due to Number One being picky, but he agreed to try it. He didn't like the fact that this recipe has bits and pieces of the ingredients, whereas, the store bought stuff is all ground together, so I ground it up in the mortar and pestle. Number One was happy with the finished product, so here is the recipe.

Ingredients
1/3 cup instant minced onion
1 tbs crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tbs curry powder
3 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cornstarch
2 tsp oregano

Combine all ingredients. Add 2 Tbs for each serving. Servings per recipe 8.


Ground taco seasoning





Save your used spice containers for your homemade spice mixes.























1 comment:

  1. What a marvelous post, I simply perused it from begin to end. Gained some new useful knowledge after quite a while. Its amazingly great and exceptionally accommodating for me.Thanks for sharing this incredible post Fresh Herbs and Spices

    ReplyDelete

Trick To Save Money At The Dentist...