Monday, October 25, 2021

How To Grow Green Onions In Your Windowsill...

I like to grow green onions and celery in my windowsill. Green onions add such good flavor to rice, beans, salads, soups and more. They can be added to recipes or used as a topper for soups and salads. I actually only grow the leaves of the celery. Celery leaves are used in the same fashion. It takes a very small amount of chopped leaves to flavor foods. 

I figured this out out of necessity. We do not live close to a grocery store, so it makes it hard to keep green onions on hand. They do not last very long in the fridge after purchasing them, so buying more was just a waste of money. I had heard that you could re-grow some vegetables buy cutting off the bottoms and growing them in water to re-plant. I have also used this technique with regular onions that have spouted. I let the roots grow out and then plant them in pots with soil. As far as green onions go, I just let them grow in water and give them a haircut when I need them or if they need one. 

I can get four or five re-growths out of one bunch of green onions. They are easy to grow and they only require water. That's it. That is all there is to it. 

I also grow my own sprouts and micro-greens for year-round greens. Keep an eye out for a future post... 




Pick a short glass container to grow the green onions in like a jar or short glass.

Add water and water as needed.


Cut to fit the container your using. I could have cut them shorter.


I chopped the tops of the green onions and...


I put some chopped green onion tops in a bowl to dehydrate.


I just let them dry on a counter and I stirred them on occasion. 


Store in a jar or baggie. Add to soups or rehydrate with water.


Moisture is an enemy to your fruits and vegetables. I use a napkin or a paper towel to extend the life of processed fruits and vegetables. 


I put some of the chopped green onions in a bag to freeze and I put some in the fridge for future use.



This is the last growth for this bunch. It will continue to grow, but it won't yield very much. I replaced it with a new bunch after I washed the container.


1st Growth after about two weeks. I used them in vegetable fried rice. Post coming soon...

Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Azure Standard - May Order Preview