Sunday, October 31, 2021

Vegetable Fried Rice - Meatless Meal Series -

I'm doing a "Meatless Meal Series" to help us and others combat the effects of high inflation on groceries. This is my kind of eating. I love to eat vegetables. I enjoy all types of fried rice. In this recipe I use only vegetables. I used the vegetables that I had on hand. You can do the same. No need for special purchases. You can use more or less or omit whatever you do not like. Add other vegetables if you want.  This is not the type of recipe that is set in stone. It is very forgiving. Don't be afraid to be creative.

I used basmati rice for this recipe. You can use whatever type of rice that you have on hand.



Rinse the rice over and over until the water runs clear.


As you can see there is a lot of excess starch on rice.


This makes a big difference when making fried rice. The rice will be less sticky if you use this technique. I don't bother with this step if I am just making regular rice. I don't want to rinse away extra nutrition. 




I'm using my pressure cooker to cook the rice. It is the best way to cook rice for us since we live at 9000 feet. We also make our own electricity, so we get to save on propane too. It's a win win.


Nice!

Fluff with a fork. Let cool completely before refrigerating. This helps the fridge not work so hard. Refrigerate the rice overnight. Cold leftover rice makes the best fried rice.

Choose your ingredients. Wash and prepare to chop.

I chose kale, celery, cabbage, red, white and green onions, mushrooms, frozen peas and carrots.

I gave my green onions growing in the windowsill a haircut.



Choose a large heavy bottom well oiled pan or wok. Fried rice cooks best in a hot pan.

Cook the hardiest vegetables first. They need a head start in the cooking process. The goal is hot, but still crisp veggies. 


Now add spices like garlic, ginger and pepper flakes.

Toasted sesame oil, liquid aminos or soy sauce, ginger root, red pepper flakes and balsamic vinegar are the seasonings that I used this time. Season to taste. 

Add the rest of the veggies to the pot and sauté a few more minutes with the desired seasonings. 

Add the cold rice and mix well stirring constantly to avoid scorching.

Stir fry until hot. Adjust seasonings at this time. Usually, I  need to add a bit more soy sauce or liquid aminos. Watch out, they are super salty. 

Enjoy!


Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Azure Standard - May Order Preview