Tuesday, October 19, 2021

What Did I Get For $41.83 - Small Grocery Haul - Inflation



Sorry for the blog silence lately, we have been nursing some physical ailments that started with Number One. I am sitting here as I type with my trusty water bottle. It's tough when one of us can't, but when two of us can't...

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.

10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up.

11 Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone?

12 And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

We had to go to town yesterday to run some errands. We hadn't been for over six weeks, so to our surprise many things had changed. 

The first thing was the high cost of gas. We have a low grade 85 octane, but it was still $3.59 a gallon. The really bad part was it had gone up to $3.69 at other stations, so as soon as this station gets a new shipment it will be the same or more per gallon. We got a total of 25.115 gallons for $90.39. We had just under a half a tank in the car and three gas cans to fill up. 




The second thing was that Walgreens had closed it's drive-thru and there were a total of three workers inside. Normally, I am a drive-thru and pick up only kind of gal, but we had already driven the 40 miles one way to pick up the things we needed. They had also reduced their store hours. Their signs stated something to the fact that it was unforeseen circumstances and it would continue through the 22nd or 27th. I didn't have my phone to take pictures. Sorry, that thing is not an extension of my hand. They did have cashew halves and pieces for $1.99 for 8 ounces regularly $5.69. That is $12.38 a pound for cashew halves and pieces. Ouch! I bought two pounds for $7.96. Cashews are Number One's favorite. These are not included in my grocery haul.

Third, was a trip to Safeway to get our favorite bagels. I figured why not? I had already broken my I don't go inside rule. Plus, we hadn't had them in over two years. They do not have a pick up service. I could not believe how different it was inside. The outrageous prices hit me as soon as I walked in the door. Safeway is a high end store in our area. I should have just picked up the bagels and ran straight to my computer and ordered from Misfits Market. The beautifully arranged fresh fruit and vegetables did not hide the fact that there was a very small amount available and that there was a very limited selection. 

The shelf space has also shrunk. The store looked full, but it was an illusion. The items were one or two deep with only one or two varieties spread out. There are no size selections either. The best varieties were in the Asian and Hispanic areas. The prices were much better in those categories too. I encourage you to look for spices in those areas. 

There were a total of six organic sweet potatoes, no regular available, three pineapples, three watermelons, five types of apples on pyramid shelves, but the cheapest was $1.99 a pound. Winter squash was only $.99 a pound which is a pretty good price for our area. Selections of green vegetables were available, but also expensive. Mushrooms were $5 for 1.5 pounds. There were a small number of bagged potatoes available.

The frozen fruits and vegetables selections were also very limited. We avoid the junk food areas, so I don't have anything to say about that other than the chip area was limited and was pretty empty. Humus was $6 for the small container. I make my own, but I wanted to see how much I was saving by doing so. I save about $4.50. 

Packages were smaller and more expensive in some cases. I can do much better shopping online. Plus, I do not have the expense of traveling. I also save by buying in bulk from big box stores. I will do my regular shopping in a couple of weeks and will be able to see what's what. I'm sure that I will be getting a lot less for more money. I'm not going to increase my budget until I absolutely have too. I will be doing a blog post about about shopping less and getting more on my next grocery haul. I am a little concerned that I will not be able to get what we use due to shortages. Stay tuned...


10 oz Kale $2.99

2  1 lb Boxes Small Shells $2.00

Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels 6 Count $3.49

2 lbs Frozen Peas and Carrots $2.99

1 lb Frozen Baby Lima Beans $1.69 

Organic Blue Corn and Sesame Chips 10 oz  $3.00

1.5 Lbs. Mushrooms $5.00 

Apple Cider $5.99

2 Green Onion Bunches $1.58

1 Green Cabbage $2.81

Anaheim Peppers  @ $1.99 lb $1.17

1 Bunch Cilantro .50

Sweetie Apples @ $1.99 lb $6.81

Tax $1.81

If I had to shop at this store all the time we would have to double or triple our budget and I would really have to shop the sales. Imagine what the price tag would have been if I purchased meat. What do your local stores look like? Comment below and share the ways you save on your groceries. Your input could really help others with the rising costs of groceries.

Mrs. Smith





No comments:

Post a Comment

Azure Standard - May Order Preview