Friday, April 29, 2022

Beans And Rice... Struggle Meals

Once a week, I try and cook a "Rice and Beans" meal. This week we will have seasoned black beans over brown rice with a homemade flatbread. It's quick and easy. I'm using my Artisan bread recipe for the flatbread. It does not require kneading. My Kitchen Aid is not working right now. It needs a new part ordered and then it needs to be installed, so I am not making breads that require kneading until it's fixed.


 

We also eat rice and beans throughout the week as sides or I use them as ingredients in other recipes. Earlier in the week, I cooked a pot of brown rice in the pressure cooker. I froze three quart sized bags of  rice and I made Egg Fried Rice out of the rest. 



I had about two cups of the fried rice left, so I grilled some Teriyaki chicken that I had marinated. I sliced the chicken and put it on top of the rice. This is a good example of "Gathering Up Your Fragments". 


Similar to oatmeal, rice can be eaten as a breakfast porridge. When I was a kid we ate hot rice with milk, butter and sugar.  It is delicious, much cheaper and healthier than boxed cereal. 






It is more cost effective to purchase dry rice and beans in larger quantities. I purchased the black beans that we are eating tonight on sale for $1.25 for a # 10 can. It weighs 6 Lbs. 12 Oz. That is about the price of a 1 Lb. package of beans at Walmart. However, that was a rare find. A good rule of thumb is to cook your own food. Don't buy ready to eat foods. It is just too expensive and probably unhealthy.

Beans and rice are a nutritious and cost effective addition to our diets and to our budgets. They can stand alone as a meal, be used as side dish or be used as ingredients in recipes. Start slow if you are not use to whole foods. No explanation needed....

Blessings,

Mrs. Smith



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Azure Standard - May Order Preview