Wednesday, June 19, 2024

The Realities of Remote Off-Grid Living - Bulk Shopping and Off-Grid Cooking Methods...


I took some time last week to refill my kitchen canisters and restock the panty. Since we purchase most of our food in bulk, I have to re-package some of those items into smaller usable containers. Spices are one of those items that I refill. I usually purchase dried spices in one-pound packages and refill my spice bottles as needed. Have you ever seen the size of a one-pound package of parsley flakes? It's quite large and takes up a lot of space. I save all of my spice bottles from the store and re-use them over and over. 

Condiments are another item that I buy in bulk. I refill my regular sized bottles that are stored in the refrigerator. Mustard is a pain in the rear to refill. It does not flow through a funnel very well and it stains everything that it comes in contact with! It is also one of those condiments that I can't make at home. Note To Self: Refill BBQ Sauce

I make my own ketchup and refill a ketchup bottle that I have had for a dozen years now. Wow, I just looked up the price of ketchup and I am shocked. Ketchup now cost $7.36 for a family size bottle. I can make it for a lot less that that with just a few healthy ingredients. 


I save money by purchasing items in bulk and by making my own homemade mixes. Some things just have to be bought from the store like mayonnaise. I know that it can be made from scratch, but it is Number One Husband's favorite beverage, I mean condiment. He is one picky mayonnaise man! I don't like mayonnaise! I don't eat other people's food that contains mayonnaise, milk or eggs. It just grosses me out!  I don't eat the store crap either. You won't find me hanging out at around the potato or egg salad at a church potluck.

I must say that shopping in bulk is easier if you eat a whole foods-based diet. In fact, it is pretty basic and simple. Cooking takes more time than boiling a box of crap, but the result is a healthier lifestyle for my family. Using a pressure cooker reduces cooking times and aids in the retention of flavors and nutrients in foods. If time or electricity, in my case, is an issue, I recommend using a pressure cooker with a timer. 





 A crock pot is a great alternative for those who work outside the home or work from home. Just dump in the ingredients, set the timer and go. Whip up a salad and side of bread when you get home, and you have a meal that is ready to eat in short order. A Crock pot meal can be assembled in advance, frozen in a freezer bag, and cooked at a later date. I have crock pot envy. I cannot use a crock pot off grid; however, a pressure cooker is a great option for me. A pressure cooker cooks faster and is a more efficient way for me to cook. Pressure cooker meals can also be prepared in advance. I use the timer feature frequently for hot Sabbath meals.

I can assemble meals in advance and freeze them for the Sun Oven too. The Sun Oven is similar to cooking in a Crock Pot, except it requires the sun. Cooking plans can be foiled by the weather. It is my preferred method of cooking in nice weather. I have Hatch Chili Cumin Chicken along with Spanish Rice baking right now in my Sun Oven. 


There used to be a large price gap between bulk foods and their smaller versions, but it's not as big anymore due to inflation. We still save on most bulk purchases, but sometimes it is the opposite. I watch the unit pricing to determine the best value. Somethings do not need to be purchased in bulk. In fact, it can be a waste of money if it is not used up before the food spoils or expires.  

In our case, we figure in the cost of driving to the store and back because it is not cheap. The store is not right around the corner. It costs around $16 in gas for a round trip to the closest grocery store and is a 3-hour round trip. It's about $33 to go into the city and takes about 6 hours. We don't mess around either. We race to get in and out of the stores as fast as possible. 

Can you imagine having to spend 6 hours every week just to buy groceries? It would be like adding another workday to your work week without getting paid. We make the trip into the city about every three months, and we do a once-a-month grocery store haul from town. Sometimes we will make a bi-monthly trip for milk and produce if we need to. We really try to avoid extra trips just for a gallon of milk.

Let's break down the cost of running into town for a gallon of milk:

Organic Cream Top Milk   $10.14 (Tax included)

Cost of fuel                         $16.00

Total:                             $26.14

This is not feasible nor sustainable. Not to mention the 3 hours that it takes to make the trip. I know that some people do not understand why we choose to live where we do. I can assure you that we would give up milk and a lot more before we moved back into a town or city again. 

The average person in Colorado spends 51 minutes twice a day in traffic. Let's just say it's an hour when you factor in weather, crashes and road construction. Most people work 5 days a week and shop on Saturdays. Sunday is a day to get out and have fun and go to church. So, 7 days a week x 2 hours is 14 hours in a car plus a 40-hour work week or more. It's just not for us. 

I am always amazed by the people who chose city life, just as they are amazed by our choice to live out here. I have to point out that city dwellers hit the road and flock to the mountains every chance that they get. They stay in cabins, RV's or tents, just to come and stay and play in the mountains. Mountain folk do not flock to cities to get away every chance they get. I'm just saying...

Hatch Chili Cumin Chicken Rice Bowls cooked in the Sun Oven.



Stay safe out there,

Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures of the Day - Sunrise and More!