Friday, July 5, 2024

31 Days of Living Well and Spending Zero - Day 4 & 5

Day 4 



Today's challenge did not apply to us. We do not have any neighbors or friends close enough to start a meal swap with, so Number One Husband and I cooked a meal together. We made a Tamale pie, and it was delicious. We also made a pan of cornbread out of the same batter.

It was a bit of a challenge, because we did not have any creamed corn. I did not have any fresh cream either, but I had some heavy cream powder in the freezer. I had not ever used heavy cream powder, nor had I even heard of it until a few months ago. I wanted to try it out, so I ordered a one-pound package. 

I put it in a baggie and stuck it in the freezer until today. This is an example of the weird food items that we found after organizing the pantry. I was grateful to be able to put it to use today. 

I didn't have a recipe, so I just winged it. I poured a can of sweet corn into the blender along with a couple tablespoons of the heavy cream powder. I pulsed it until it looked like creamed corn. I heated up a pan with a couple tablespoons of butter. I added the corn mixture and a teaspoon of sugar. I reduced the mixture until it reached the consistency that I was looking for. It turned out like fresh homemade creamed corn. 

Day 5

Today's "Eating Out at Home" challenge was a fun challenge. We decided to make Angel Fire Chicken from a restaurant called "Goldies Patio Grill". It has been long closed in our hometown; I think there are still locations in Oklahoma. They had a pickle bar that was so good. It had every kind of pickled goodness that I loved. The pickled cherry peppers were my favorite, and the whole banana peppers were a close second. While I do not have either of those items, I do have some pickles, pickled onions, pickled sweet jalapeños, pickled beets and carrots. 

Number One Husband is a Grill Master!

Angel Fire and Cajun chicken breasts.

The Angel Fire chicken is topped with
grilled peppers and Pepper Jack cheese.

I sliced the Cajun chicken breasts for lunchmeat.


I baked a loaf of sandwich bread, cinnamon bread and buns.
We will have Angel Fire Chicken Burgers on
the buns for our "Eating Out at Home" challenge.


That's about it for Day 4 & 5. It's time to get ready to rest. The Sabbath begins soon...


Shabbat Shalom,

Mrs. Smith



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pictures of the Day - Sunrise and More!