Sunday, September 15, 2024

Preserving Horseradish

Horseradish is simple to grow. I planted a single start years ago. It produces a large, leafed plant and tubers. The leaves are also edible although not as strong flavored as the root and are a great addition to any salad in moderation.  

I harvested a little late this year. I left some in the ground and planted some
in a large pot for next year. I can't seem to find my picture of my plant. 

I scrubbed the roots and cut off the unusable pieces.

I peeled the roots that I was going to 
process in vinegar.

I filled up a pint jar with horseradish shreds. This can be done 
with a food processor. I prefer using my Healthy Gourmet
Kitchen Cutter.

I filled the jar with vinegar until it covered the 
horseradish shreds.

I removed the air bubbles with a chopstick.


I put a lid on the jar and put it into the refrigerator.

I cut the remaining unpeeled roots into smaller pieces.

I wrapped them individually in plastic wrap making sure
all the air was removed.



I placed the roots into a freezer bag
and stored them in the freezer. It can 
be grated frozen. I also preserve
ginger in the same fashion.

I pity the bear that gets into this. 

Shalom,
Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment