Sunday, October 13, 2024

Hunting Season and Happenings

Number One Husband mad breakfast this morning. I usually do not eat breakfast, but I couldn't turn it down since he worked so hard on it. We play backgammon while eating most of our meals. We have a longstanding tradition that whoever wins at backgammon has to do the dishes. I won or lost depending on how you look at doing the dishes. It keeps the winner humble...



I keep baked potatoes in the refrigerator that I baked in the sun oven. It makes cooking hashbrowns a lot easier and cuts down on energy usage. I made a big pot of gravy for the weekend. I didn't have time to bake more bread this past week and I knew that we were going to run out, so I bought three .27 cent loaves of French bread at Walmart. I can't bake bread for .27 cents. They were on the marked down shelf. They had obviously baked too many because they had over a dozen loaves. 

It was the best deal in the whole store compared to the golf ball sized Roma tomatoes for $1.28 a pound or the .88 cent miniature cucumbers. I do not know what is going on with our produce. After digging through the tomatoes and cucumbers to find the very best ones, my hands were slick with a waxy film. So gross!

Last week was busy with lots of paperwork, taxes and a trip to town. We needed a tank of gas, medicine, very few groceries and a couple of miscellaneous items like a thumb drive and cabinet stops to keep the cabinets from banging. Well, the cabinet stops were just as hard as the wood and the cabinet door still bangs. What a waste of $5 bucks. The trip was upwards of $200. How crazy is that? That is about the average cost of going to town these days. 


We have some of the most beautiful sunsets. Last evening was no exception. We also experienced the aurora borealis this past week. It was red. It nearly encircled us. It was Quite beautiful. It was too dark to take pictures. I was unaware of it until my friend in Arkansas sent me pictures and by then it was too late. 


The mornings are very cool now. The bluebirds left yesterday. It is also very dry. Gun season is over. We had two cheating hunters who used unethical techniques to bag an antelope. One shot from the road. I have pictures of him shooting from the road into a herd to no avail until he came back a few days later. He killed a female with twins from the road both of which are illegal. I despise hunters who risk the lives of animals and people. They are disgusting humans...

It's the fault of the government who allows hunters to hunt near residential areas with roads and houses in the crossfire. There may be good hunters, but this year there were only bad hunters. The twins took up with a young buck who was orphaned in the same manner two years ago.

According to Lewis and Clark hunting antelope proved to be most difficult due to their speed, awareness to danger and sharp eyesight. They also hunted antelope illegally by today's standards. Our herd stays close to our homestead during hunting season. They leave at dusk for water and return at dawn before the hunters get started. Unfortunately, the heard was scattered and the female became a victim of unsavory hunting practices. 

 

As far as we can tell both of the big bucks survived. 

Shalom,
Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rustic Potato Bread