Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Gas Prices and Labor Shortages



We had to go into a small town an hour away today. We had to get gas. Approximately 20 gallons and change for approximately 70 dollars and change. Ouch! We did find it nine cents cheaper than last time, but we needed more this time. Half of the pumps were out of gas. 

I had to pick up some items from Walgreens through the drive- thru also. It took almost an hour to to get through a line of six. We were number six. I had to call because I did not get the standard "your items are ready" notice. They told me that they had to close early yesterday, so they were behind. The last time I was there the drive-thru was completely closed and I had to go inside and wait for nearly 40 minutes. I decided to check what the problem was with Walgreens on the news and it seems that they are so short handed nationwide that they have reduced their hours and are being forced to close the store completely when they don't have enough staff to wait on customers and fill prescriptions. This is causing delays in patients ability to get their prescriptions on time. 

Nobody wants to go inside because the cases are so high in the state, but they are being forced to go inside and stand in line. The lines are long inside and out. Cars just kept filing in. Most of these people are sick and shouldn't go inside, but the drive-thru only holds six cars. We had to leave and come back because we would have blocked part of the entrance and exit if we got in line. I feel sorry for the workers. People are so aggressive these days.

I don't have the answers to these problems and I certainly would not want to add to the problems by making it harder for the few workers left to help the customers. I find it appalling to act in such a way that threatens another person. I saw this the last time. Most everyone is under a lot of pressure and unfortunately some people have to wield their impatience on others by berating the employees .

I don't think that the McDonalds' lobby is open anymore here either. There are only cars in the drive-thru. Normally, the parking lot and drive-thru are full. I just noticed this twice while passing by. What are you seeing in your area? 

Mrs. Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink Mix