Saturday, November 27, 2021

Gather Up The "Thanksgiving" Fragments...



We had a small amount of creamed potatoes, a few slices of sweet potatoes and some green beans leftover from Thanksgiving. I ate it for lunch the next day. This was the extent of our leftovers from Thanksgiving with the exceptions of turkey and cranberry relish. We didn't have an enormous Thanksgiving meal. It was a simple meal and I didn't make any extras like I normally do. I just didn't have any room in the fridge after receiving our grocery order. 

I decided on a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving after discovering the high price of lunch meat. Number One wanted some lunch meat for sandwiches, so when I went to the store to pick up the groceries I  discovered that lunch meat was $16.99 a pound. I hadn't purchased our turkey yet, so when I saw a whole smoked turkey for $19.99 I thought that it was a great deal. When I checked out it was actually $29.99. It was still better than one pound of lunch meat for $16.99. While deciding on which one I would buy I noticed that they were all 10 pounders. I knew that this was not probable, so I picked the largest one. I weighed it when I got home and it came in at nearly 13 pounds. That sweetened the deal even more.

After our Thanksgiving meal, we separated the rest of the turkey into three bags. The breasts went into one bag to be sliced for lunch meat. They weighed almost 4 pounds. Number One and I wrestled with the wings and legs and finally we got them into the second bag for whatever meals I come up with and the third bag was the back and the rest of the carcass. I froze it immediately with the drippings from the pan. I will use it for making turkey stock at a later date. 

I decided to make black eyed peas with smoked turkey. Number One requested Jiffy cornbread with jalapenos. I forgot the jalapenos and some of my pictures will not upload. This is two of three fails for the day.

I took out a leg and started carving.

Princess Abigail waited in anticipation for her share of the turkey. She was beside herself while we were heating up the turkey on Thanksgiving.

There is still a lot of meat on the bone, so I put it back in the fridge.

I added the smoked turkey and some spices to the black eyed peas that I had thawed out the night before.
Food would be so boring without spices. Edible, but boring.

I put a diffuser under the pot and stewed it for a bit. My stove does not know what "low" means. Then I put it in the oven to continue cooking while I baked the cornbread. 

I still had some bread that I needed to turn into croutons, so while I had the oven on I baked some.

I roasted the last of the pecans at the same time.

A great healthy snack.

I will turn the last of the romaine into a large salad for next week.

 The third fail for the day was a pan failure. I made Cranberry bread out some of the leftover cranberry relish. It is delicious, but it failed to come out of the pan in one piece. I think it's time for new pans. These pans have lasted over 20 years.




Have a great day,

Mrs. Smith






 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink Mix