Saturday, November 13, 2021

Inflation - Grocery Haul - Buying Groceries Online - Delivery Days - Misfits Market

We purchase grocery staples and other supplies online. We have the orders delivered to our home. We also place pick-up orders for perishables that can't be shipped. We use this service to fill in the gaps during the in between times if we have a need. I decided to skip the pick-up orders this time and use Misfits Market for all our perishable goods. If you want to try this service, here is a code that gives  you a nice discount. COOKWME-PK2OOTIXJJM

My first two box Misfits order. 

My new Buck knife. It's a great size that fits perfectly in my pocket.


Unfortunately, the ice pack ended up on top of my Romaine. I only lost a couple of leaves.

I am not disappointed. They have beautiful produce and they have a good selection of pantry items. They also ship high quality proteins like beef, poultry and fish 


If you have been following my blog for very long, then you know that we live in a remote place and that the closest grocery store is about 40 miles away. So a round trip would take about two hours of driving, plus the time spent shopping and running other errands. The Largest town is two hours away where they have larger stores like Sam's. So, that's a four hour round trip if you don't get stuck in a traffic snarl not counting the time it takes to shop. My best time is about six hours. So you can see why we run all of our errands at one time. 

This takes planning and the use of lists. I start by keeping track of what we use and what we are running low on. Since the dawn of shortages, I have had to get real creative. We all have, haven't we? I keep an active list. The list changes and evolves as I try to figure out what will be available and what's on sale. It changes until I push the "place order" button and even then I could get the dreaded "out of stock notice". This time I only got the notice on one product. I immediately placed another order separately for the item and I got my order to go through. Pretty strange. I have never tried this technique before.

Did I tell you that I also have a budget that has not increased with the inflation we are experiencing? That's right, I am also trying to maneuver though this increasingly volatile inflation situation without spending more money. What the government reports about inflation does not reflect what we are seeing on the ground. Don't get me started on the price of gasoline in our area. It is about 30 cents higher or more in our area per gallon than what I am seeing in other states. California is the exception to this statement. It always seems to be the exception. Poor Californians...

Here are some ways to save money:

1. Bigger doesn't mean less expensive. Compare prices.

2. Stock up on sale items. Certain items go on sale once a year. Do a search online to see what month staple items like peanut butter or sausage go on sale. It usually coincides with a holiday or a harvest.

4. Don't buy sale items if you don't use them. It is a complete waste of money unless you are buying them to donate.

5. Don't buy an item just because you have a coupon. You can usually find an alternative brand for less money.

I have noticed that items are shipping from other areas now instead of just from the area my store is located. This has helped with the availability of some products. Shipping seems to have improved also as far as how long it takes to arrive at my home. It is still slower than BP (Before Pandemic). We haven't arrived at AP (After Pandemic) yet. I'm not sure if we will ever be normal again. I think bad times are still ahead of us. This is uncharted territory for all of us. 

Share the ways you save money in the comments below. Help others who are on this inflation roller coaster and are stuck in this this era of shortages. 

One pound of organic lentils for a penny. That's right. One penny.

Medjool dates 

Honey Crisp apples are an expensive treat in normal times. What is normal?

Same price at the grocery store only this is organic.

Organic and less expensive.

Organic and the same price as regular.

Future Kimchi...

Future pickled beets... 

Organic mayo was $1.99 for two jars. 

Stay tuned for future posts on homemade pickled beets and kimchi.

Delivery boxes. You can tell packaging is in short supply when they have to use a giant box for one small item. 

My budget did not go as far as it use to. Money does not have the purchasing power it use to have.  

Time to prepare a meal. I bought a whole chicken on sale a while back, cut out the back, cut it in half and froze it. I will use the chicken back for soup at a later date. I would normally use the Sun Oven, but the wind has been blowing wickedly for days and days.

I bought the squash about five months ago from Misfits Market. It's still just as fresh as the day I bought it. I plan on using the leftover chicken for egg rolls. 

Roasted chicken, and squash with salad. I used kimchi and pickled veggies on my salad. I'm not a fan of salad dressing. Bon Appetit...


Mrs. Smith








No comments:

Post a Comment

Homemade Electrolyte Sports Drink Mix