Saturday, December 18, 2021

Shortages - Out Of Stock - Inflation

We can't always see what is coming around the corner, but we can proceed with caution.


I'm trying to place a pick-up order at Sam's Club. They are out of five of the seven items that I need. I can make substitutions for two of the items, but not the rest. They are everyday items like carrots and potatoes. Onions are .70 lb. I have never paid that much for onions. We are definitely living in strange times. 

I decided to look around a bit more and found that they are out of some items that we purchase regularly. I will try to pick up the out of stock items at a smaller grocery store that has curbside pick-up. I will have to pay more, but at least it's on the way. 

Is this ever going to end or is this the way it's going to be for now on? I guess it could get a lot worse, all my items could be out of stock. Since I'm not in the store all the time I think that sticker shock hits me a bit harder. I know my purchasing power is greatly diminished. 

Carrots - Out of Stock. They don't even show out of stock. They are just not there.

Potatoes - Out of stock. They only have two kinds, jumbo and red. I have not had any luck with the jumbo. They are rotten inside and out and I have purchased them twice. I will buy the red potatoes. They are a suitable substitution, but more expensive.

Celery -Out of stock. They only have the celery sticks available. It is a suitable substitution.

Whole Chickens -Out of stock. They only have the frozen breasts or the expensive kind of breasts in fresh. Nothing else is available except thighs and they are as expensive as the breasts. No whole chickens are available.

Maple Syrup - Out of stock.

Turkey -  Out of stock. They do not have turkeys available. Ground turkey is over $5 a pound up by $2 a pound and is not a substitution for a whole turkey.

Beans - Dry beans have doubled in price.

Parmesan Cheese - Up by $2

We have been learning how to go around these barriers.  It is frustrating and concerning, but necessary. We can't just give up. Keep on trying and share the ways you have had to go around barriers with others. Knowledge and understanding are key to getting through this unprecedented time that we are living in. 

It looks like things may be getting worse again with the pandemic which has an impact on our ability to purchase food and everyday items. I'm pretty sure that the reason that we can't get carrots is because of the drought we are experiencing. 


Be safe out there and proceed with caution,

Mrs. Smith








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Big Box Delivered Today!