Friday, June 10, 2022

Basic White Bread Dough Recipe... Calzones, Hot Pockets, Rolls And More

This is my favorite basic dough recipe. I created this dough for it's softness. It can be used in so many ways. I used this batch for making calzones, hot pockets and rolls. I love the rolls. They are yummy!  This recipe also makes the softest hamburger and hotdog buns. 


Add warm water, melted/softened butter or oil and sugar to a large bowl. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Add half of the flour and all of the salt. Mix well with a sturdy wooded spoon.



Keep adding flour until a soft dough forms.

Once the dough has formed, dust a counter or other hard surface with flour and knead the dough for 10 minutes adding small amounts of flour as needed to prevent sticking.

After kneading, you should have a very soft stretchy dough.

Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn dough until coated completely in the oil. 

Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, prepare any filling that you are using if you are making calzones or hot pockets.

I used sliced beef smoked sausage and I grated different types of cheeses.



The dough is ready to punch down.

My sauce is also ready. This is just my regular spaghetti sauce. I made extra to freeze.

This time I used my tabletop to prepare my dough.

I kneaded the dough for three minutes and formed another ball.

I divided the dough into eight pieces with a bench scraper.

I rolled the pieces into balls.

I rolled out my dough and added my filling.

I folded the dough over and formed a large calzone.


Then I vented the top of the calzone.

Then I started on the hot pockets. I used the same filling.

I managed to fit everything on one large sheet pan. I had an oddball looking one, so I could use the last of  the filling. I used a silicone baking mat. You can use an oiled pan if you want. Your choice...

With the leftover dough, I formed six rolls.

I baked everything in a pre-heated 400* oven until browned. The rolls baked faster than the others.

The Hot Pockets were finished next.

Then the Calzones were done. 

Dough Ingredients:
2 1/2 C Warm Water
3 Tsp Yeast
3 Tbs Sugar
3 Tbs Soft or Melted Butter (Vegetable Oil Can Be Substituted)
5 1/2 C Bread Flour or All Purpose Flour (+ flour for kneading)
1 Tbs Salt

You don't have to make what I made with this dough. Today, I made two loaves of bread and more rolls. Next time I may make cinnamon bread, cinnamon rolls and pizza. Use your imagination and your favorite fillings. 

Shabbat Shalom,

Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spaghetti Pizza - Pantry Meals