Sunday, February 19, 2023

Water Kefir: Origins and Benefits

Finally, success! 
Our first bottle, not our first try. We had issues with the temperatures of our first, second and third attempts to make kefir. Luckily, I froze some kefir grains that we were able to grow before we had a total kefir grain failure. The beer color is from the molasses that we used to help revitalize the frozen kefir grains. I will tell the rest of the story in a future post including the process and recipes as we continue our journey learning about Kefir. 


                                   WATER KEFIR ORIGINS

Water kefir has traditionally been consumed for centuries and possibly longer. The most widely accepted origin story comes from Mexico where the water kefir grains were harvested from the prickly pear cactus and used to create this bubbly drink. I am certain that most geographical regions have their own version of a water kefir made from something similar that grows in their own specific area.

HEALTH BENEFITS OF WATER KEFIR

  • Probiotic - Colonizes the gut with good bacteria.
  • Strengthens the Immune System, I'm loving this stuff!
  • Activates and aids in digestion.
  • Boosts energy and mood - If it makes your body feel better, then your mind will follow.
  • Improves Gut Health.
  • Anti-inflammatory, we all need this!
  • May help fight cancer, and this!
  • Antifungal and antibiotic.
  • Lowers risk of diabetes!
  • Helps build bone density.
  • Loaded with valuable enzymes, beneficial acids, vitamins and minerals.
  • Helps reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, this is huge!


Strawberry lemon, lemon lime and plain.

We had to think fast and put the bottle in the sink. This drink is incredibly carbonated. Easily replaces sodas. I love carbonated drinks.

We carefully and slowly opened the bottle.

This went on for a while.

I finally tilted the bottle and started drinking the bubbles. Then I handed it to Number One, who never gave up trying to master the process of making water kefir. I love his never give up attitude!

As with any product that I blog about, I encourage you, to do your own research. I am not a doctor. 

Things to be happy about:

Persistence
 
Never give up attitudes

Changing my bad attitude

Trying new things

Ballpoint blue ink pens

The gratitude I feel when my tea is finished brewing in the mornings.

The red color underneath an angel-winged begonia leaf.

Wondering if I am happy about more things than I am unhappy about things?
 

Shalom,
Mrs. Smith
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bible Gateway - Huge Bible Sale!