Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Stretching Ground Beef-- What Can You Make With One Pound Of Hamburger....

Inflation has been eating away at budgets all around the globe. Meat seems to be the most expensive item along with produce. I decided to try and see how far I can stretch one pound of ground beef. This is the first in a series of posts that I plan to create as I attempt to fight inflation.

We finally have some snow on the ground. It is bitterly cold at 6*. The low is supposed to be -15 tonight. The sun is setting now and I think that this will be our coldest night. 

 
Little Abby is ready...

Out of the first pound of meat I was able to make two large pizzas, almost a quart of spaghetti sauce and some dog food extender. Abby is an older dog who has always been on the thin side, so she needs an extra bump in nutrition.



I must say that this was the best pizza...

I baked one and froze the other.

I stored the spaghetti sauce in the fridge until I needed it.

I used the fat and drained juices for Little Abby's food. I also added a good spoonful of meat.

I served the pizza with a dinner salad to complete the meal. We didn't stop at one piece...

The next pound of ground beef that I used I made German Burgers. It's a mixture of ground beef and cabbage cooked together with onions wrapped in homemade dough. Number One likes them with cheese baked inside. I was able to get nine German Burgers out of a pound of ground beef. This is a better choice than four 1/4 pound cheeseburgers.





German Burgers are filling and a flavorful way to eat ground beef. I also made hot dog buns out of the excess dough.



We ended up with a lot of meals out of each pound of ground beef. I hope this post stretches your imagination to fight inflation. I'm not sure what I will be inspired to cook in the next post in this series. You will have to visit again to find out...

Blessings,
Mrs. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Out My Kitchen Window - Window Therapy